I just read an article on Yogi Bhajan (ostensible former leader of the Sikh community, or at least the Kundalini/yoga part of it). It seems his organization has fallen into bickering over money, squabbling over their own and their leader's actions, and generally acting the opposite of how they claim to believe.

The more these ripples spread out, the more people they seem to effect. It now seems they have spread to our own yoga community, infecting us with the divisiveness and discontent his own organization experienced. One of our sisters quit a related teacher training (so I hear), and while a personal decision, it affected the group. Where the ripples go from there, we can only guess.

As a theoretical caregiver, I'd like to give us some care. All of us. As a former (and possibly current) fuckhead, I'd like for us all to forgive, forget, and move on with love. I think we can stop these ripples from spreading - if we all act now, and selflessly. Hug those involved in this situation, if you know them. Show your love and support for all people, those you think are on the right side, and those you think are on the wrong.

I say this: our yoga community is powerful enough to stop the vibes from a less healthy yoga community. All it takes is love, understanding, and FORGIVENESS. How we deal with this issue now will show us for what we are, what we manifest. Did we learn love and tolerance? Or will we slide back into the morass of blaming, ridicule, divisiveness, and separation?

For regardless of what Yogi Bhajan or his organization did or does, if there is any Truth in his life or teachings, it remains     unsullied by his 'lower self' actions. We can learn from his experiences, use them as reminders that all people are special and worthy of the utmost respect, that sex and love are gifts, precious gifts we must be careful to use to elevate ourselves and bring us closer, not to satisfy animal urges or to objectify others and use them. The Catholics have gotten many things wrong over the years, but they got this right...sex is a gift, a holy gift, a SACRAMENT.

While it seems like Yogi Bhajan's alleged sexual misconduct would nullify or negate his teachings, they serve only to underline them. Just because true words come from sullied lips, they are no less true. Just because someone does not live by his beliefs, it does not necessarily make the beliefs untrue.

If anything, it shows how closely balanced is our existence between the Divine and the animal, how precious it is, and how easily upset. It shows us how even the most wise and powerful people can fall from grace....(which of course includes us, if we are not mindful). Thus, perhaps this situation will develop in us compassion and understanding, instead of disgust and divisiveness.

I can see nothing but terribleness in the act of sexually abusing someone, but maybe we can see beyond that, as hard as it sounds. I am an eternal and incurable optimist, and I think even the creepiest people have lessons to teach us, if we will just be open to them (I have been struggling to learn from the Columbine shooters, who shot at my only son and shattered all our lives...and from Hitler, and all the other 'assholes' in the world). This is the only way to salvage something out of the destruction and pain these people sow. If nothing else, learn from them as an object lesson in what NOT to do. Let the tales of their smallness inspire largeness in you, reinforce your desire to never be that way yourself.

Oh boy, I wanna judge anyone that abuses people, but I keep remembering the words of that crazy Jewish rebel hippy, Yeshua (known to most as Jesus)..I will remove the beam from my own eye before I seek to remove the mote from another's eye.

We are yoga people - let's not let worldly issues come between us. We can heal, and we can send intentions to the Sikh community to heal. We can go beyond this, and do the one thing that truly will make our Kundalini rise...live with love, love as an action not a feeling...live with compassion and respect, for people we agree with and those we find repulsive or less than what we'd like them to be. Live, as clearly and openly as possible. That is what makes the Kundalini rise. That is what brings enlightenment, NOT famous people or leaders, special techniques or moving books.

Kundalini rises as a response to LOVE, true love...it rises when it is ready and cannot be rushed.

So let's all get together and be alright, to paraphrase Ziggy M.

May the long-time sun shine upon you
and all love surround you
May the pure light within you
guide your way on

Sat Nam

I remain your friend and obedient servant,

Mark-Francis