Total Pageviews

Friday, March 4, 2011

The Mayan Calendar and The Birth of a New World

On February 11, 2011 we entered the last phase of the current Mayan calendar, which will end on 28 October, 2011 (not the 21 December 2012 based on the 360 day tun, but on the holy 260 day tun and current world's baktun).

The first of the last nine 'heavens' (or phases) began 2/11/11 and was the heaven of Sowing, controlled by the God of Fire and Time. On 3/3/11, the phases overlapped, beginning the second heaven; of Inner Assimilation of the New Wave, controlled by the God of Earth.

There is a lot of consternation about this calendar that most think claims the world 'ends' on that day. I don't think the Mayans forecast anything so apocalyptic, but will keep an open mind. Instead, I think they saw this as the transformation to a new age, based on the calendar of Gaia, and mitigated by that of the universe. The previous baktun (calendar age in Mayan) covered a long cycle (to humans) which took us through the various stages of history (and to some degrees explained the winds of history and the often baffling 'advances forward' out of the blue, e.g., DaVinci, et. al.).

I would like to suggest that perhaps this is similar to the Yurgas (ages of the universe/multiverse) in Hindu cosmology. In either case, it has become analogous to the dawning of a new age, or the ending of an old one (however you see it, and based on what you think each entails). Everyone (every optimist, at least) loves the idea of a new world and a new age, but let me suggest this as well:

Perhaps the New Age will not be brought about by ancient calendars ending, by Nostradamus predicting, or by some astrological alignments. Perhaps we (and only we) give birth to a new world every day, in our minds and hearts and (eventually, one would hope) in our actions. Perhaps the thing that will create or allow a new world to manifest is the combined intentions and actions of us all. Perhaps what makes this happen or not is not our prayers, but if we decide to drive gas-guzzlers or hate our neighbors (our beliefs and true intentions manifested in actions).

Consider the possibility that the new world could come on October 28th, 2011 and ... no one would notice it. Or at least not those not ready to perceive it. Perhaps to some, the new world will consist in increased compassion, understanding, and service to others. Perhaps it will result in us dropping old habits and attitudes like we would a dirty garment, and becoming the change we want to see (to paraphrase Ghandi). Maybe the snowball will grow, and people will begin to see each other as brothers and sisters. Perhaps enough will speak out and rise up to effect true global change.

Or perhaps the only way we can truly effect change is to change ourselves, our individual thoughts and beliefs and actions, our motivations and judgments. Maybe we don't need the government to change and have more peace, but to cultivate peace within ourselves and manifest it as peaceful actions. It's possible we don't need Exxon or BP to change, but to all simply to change our lifestyles; to pedal or walk when possible, and take public transportation the rest of the time. Perhaps if enough of us make these individual changes, then our combined transformations will gain momentum, like a snowball on the hill, until eventually all people adopt the new attitudes of acceptance and respect, if nothing else just to go along with the enlightened majority.

Maybe it's the hundredth monkey principle in action; that eventually enough social and spiritual change by will 'pull up' the rest to a new level. So all I am suggesting is that the change might be subtle, ethereal, and might come from within rather than from outside. While the change may end up being major, it may not occur with a bang or cataclysmically, but in degrees, accelerating as it goes. Could it be that the change will not occur on a specific calendar date (or at least not obviously), but maybe begin on or around a certain date?

All I know is that I do not know. All that we know as a society is that we do not know (as evidenced by our miserable record in polluting the planet and killing or harming each other). Yet having an open mind is prerequisite to receiving new ideas and concepts. If we (as a world society) can make this transformation alone - to have open minds and leave our old attitudes and prejudices behind- that would be transformation enough, a rebirth so cataclysmic as to re-define society and our world.

We understandably long for help from an outside source, a Deux ex Machina (god in the machine) of the ancient Greeks, who would come down in the middle of a play (about the trials of mortals) and make (or explain) a change that ordinary people couldn't on their own. Yes, we sometimes long for the ease of having someone else make the change for us; our parents, or society, or God, or benevolent aliens. But this change might have to be initiated by us and effected by us (the people of Earth, our brothers and sisters on Gaia) and us alone, regardless of who predicts it and when it occurs.

A wise woman once said (at a yoga teacher training portion on Vedic astrology) that giving birth to a new world will undoubtedly be painful. This may be evidenced by reactions from Nature/Gaia to our increasing pollution and misuse of her (droughts, floods, global warming, earthquakes, etc.). It could also be evidenced by social upheavals, as old regimes are challenged and react to inevitable change (which signals growth, evolution, and development), as seen in the riots and revolts in the Muslim world, and increased social change and demand for reform globally. Or it could simply be manifested in how we meet and greet each other on the street, especially those we 'do not like' or are not familiar or comfortable with.

In either way, change is as inevitable (the one true constant) as it is uncomfortable. It constantly occurs, and I am not sure if it accelerates into an exponentially apocalyptic curve or not. I welcome it, even the ostensibly 'bad' change, as it all is unavoidable, natural, and may result in benefits we could never anticipate. If we are in the End Times of the Christian fundamentalists or the Final Baktun of the Mayans, I will be glad to be there and experience it. I will blog about it as well, as long as it makes sense to do so. Perhaps the change will be so great we will no longer need words to communicate, but until then they will continue to gush forth from me as the ideas do. Whether (and how) I let them out depends on how I tune my spirit, how I perceive and manifest in the world, and (LOL) whether I have access to a computer that works

I've been reading a lot about the changing ages lately, ancient sutras and astrological stuff, the Apocalypse, and ending of the Age of Kali, and of course, the Mayans. Perhaps the most notable Mayan book is The Mayan Calendar and The Transformation of Consciousness, by Johan Carl Calleman. Still, I find every day a day of creation and of change, and will not make any special precautions or preparations for the 'End,' even if I was certain it was coming, beyond my normal personal practice and self-transformation.

I do not know what the stars or ancients may say about it, but one thing I do know; I am entering a personal New Age, the Age of Service and Compassion, the Age of the Higher Self, the Age of Self-Transformation and Gratitude. I will not count on God or society or the Mayans to do it for me, but will welcome all help that is towards the Good of all, aimed towards Integrated Human Fulfillment, no let me re-phrase that, towards Integrated Fulfillment of All Beings and of the entire multiverse. Let us experience a re-alignment towards to Good, towards, the Divine, towards the Infinite Radiant IS. I ask this through all that is good and holy. I implement it through all that is good and holy. We manifest it as a reflection of all that is good and holy.

AUM, Shanti, Shanti, Shantihiii



"I'm starting with the man in the mirror"
            -Michael Jackson

"Be the change that you want to see in the world"
            -Mahatma Ghandi

"This is the Dawning of the Age of Aquarius"
           -The (?) Mamas and the Papas

"Dontcha know we're living in stolen moments; you steal enough, it feels like we're stopping time."
           -John Hiatt



Disclaimer and note for all blogs by me: these blogs are written extemporaneously, without editing or preparation. As such, they may be disclaimed, modified, or marveled at by myself at a later date, and may not necessarily reflect my beliefs as eloquently and succinctly as I'd like. If you want well thought out and crafted words, buy my books or read my published articles, which are not extemporaneous. Oh, and ...enjoy! Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment