Who in a world of caterpillars, can know of the world of butterflies?
This question (or something like it) was asked originally (at least in this form of analogy) by Jed McKenna, in one of his books (Spiritual Warfare, I believe). I wish I could attribute it to myself, for it rings so true. Jed didn't go into too much detail beyond presentation of this marvelous analogy, but here are some of my thoughts on the matter:
Throughout history, wise people (caterpillars like ourselves) have claimed to have knowledge of how it is to be a butterfly, what that world is like, and how we can become butterflies ourselves (or accelerate the natural process of becoming butterflies). They often imagine us evolving into a sort of super-caterpillar, an advanced version of our current selves. Many claim our enlightenment and actualization into butterflies will be mostly internal, and to outside appearances we will still be caterpillars, yet somehow will be butterflies within (on on another plane, or in eternity, the afterlife, or in the realm of spirit), far beyond the material manifestations of butterflies and caterpillars.
Some of this rings true, for we sense within ourselves that we are more than our current manifestation, that we possess potential far beyond what we are now manifesting, far beyond our current constraints or limitations. We sense this and want desperately to believe it, but nevertheless remain caterpillars and unsure if there is anything more, if this whole concept of butterflies is something we dreamed up, a sort of opiate of the masses (to paraphrase Karl Marx out of context).
I guess the big point of this is not whether we are caterpillars or not, or whether we will evolve into butterflies or something else, but the simple statement of the truism that since none has come back from the afterlife to show us what awaits, none alive can possibly know what (if anything) awaits. This is one of the fundamental tenets of Nowism: that since none can truly know (from direct experience) what the afterlife holds, none can say with any certainty. Thus, all religions are equally valid (or invalid) and all deserve equal respect and consideration (and skepticism). *
My desire is not to be something I am not, but to be as complete and present a caterpillar as I can (if that is indeed what I am), and to help other caterpillars as much as I can. I'll leave the butterfly stuff for later; I'm too busy and ahppy being a caterpillar for now. Before I would wish to know the joy of wings and caress of the wind, I want to know the solace and stability of the Earth beneath me, supporting me and grounding me. These things are as much pre-requisites to flying as wings are (or so I imagine in my caterpillar brain).
Yes, none can know for sure, and that is as it should be. Our time is so precious, it makes little sense to spend it in the nebulous realms of possible pasts and imagined futures, both of which are merely thought forms. There is too much to experience and learn from here in the present, the only place we can possibly be and the only place we can truly manifest ourselves and fulfill our potential. If our potentials lead us to later become butterflies, that is moot in the present, and becoming must first start with being.
So let us be, let it be and all shall be well... right here and now, in the present.
AUM, Shanti, Shanti, Shantihii
"All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well."
-Dame Julian of Norwich, 1637 (?)
* A corollary of this is that if God exists, She/He/It must (and indeed can only) manifest in the Now.
This question (or something like it) was asked originally (at least in this form of analogy) by Jed McKenna, in one of his books (Spiritual Warfare, I believe). I wish I could attribute it to myself, for it rings so true. Jed didn't go into too much detail beyond presentation of this marvelous analogy, but here are some of my thoughts on the matter:
Throughout history, wise people (caterpillars like ourselves) have claimed to have knowledge of how it is to be a butterfly, what that world is like, and how we can become butterflies ourselves (or accelerate the natural process of becoming butterflies). They often imagine us evolving into a sort of super-caterpillar, an advanced version of our current selves. Many claim our enlightenment and actualization into butterflies will be mostly internal, and to outside appearances we will still be caterpillars, yet somehow will be butterflies within (on on another plane, or in eternity, the afterlife, or in the realm of spirit), far beyond the material manifestations of butterflies and caterpillars.
Some of this rings true, for we sense within ourselves that we are more than our current manifestation, that we possess potential far beyond what we are now manifesting, far beyond our current constraints or limitations. We sense this and want desperately to believe it, but nevertheless remain caterpillars and unsure if there is anything more, if this whole concept of butterflies is something we dreamed up, a sort of opiate of the masses (to paraphrase Karl Marx out of context).
I guess the big point of this is not whether we are caterpillars or not, or whether we will evolve into butterflies or something else, but the simple statement of the truism that since none has come back from the afterlife to show us what awaits, none alive can possibly know what (if anything) awaits. This is one of the fundamental tenets of Nowism: that since none can truly know (from direct experience) what the afterlife holds, none can say with any certainty. Thus, all religions are equally valid (or invalid) and all deserve equal respect and consideration (and skepticism). *
My desire is not to be something I am not, but to be as complete and present a caterpillar as I can (if that is indeed what I am), and to help other caterpillars as much as I can. I'll leave the butterfly stuff for later; I'm too busy and ahppy being a caterpillar for now. Before I would wish to know the joy of wings and caress of the wind, I want to know the solace and stability of the Earth beneath me, supporting me and grounding me. These things are as much pre-requisites to flying as wings are (or so I imagine in my caterpillar brain).
Yes, none can know for sure, and that is as it should be. Our time is so precious, it makes little sense to spend it in the nebulous realms of possible pasts and imagined futures, both of which are merely thought forms. There is too much to experience and learn from here in the present, the only place we can possibly be and the only place we can truly manifest ourselves and fulfill our potential. If our potentials lead us to later become butterflies, that is moot in the present, and becoming must first start with being.
So let us be, let it be and all shall be well... right here and now, in the present.
AUM, Shanti, Shanti, Shantihii
"All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well."
-Dame Julian of Norwich, 1637 (?)
* A corollary of this is that if God exists, She/He/It must (and indeed can only) manifest in the Now.
No comments:
Post a Comment